New format for WBOS

Shawn Mamros mamros@MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 4 10:30:23 EST 2008

There was at least one exception to the jockless format yesterday,
though I suspect it's only a temporary one.  George Knight's
Sunday morning show ran at its usual time, with its usual format
(closer to 'BOS's old playlist than their new one) yesterday morning.
For the past few months, that show has had a single sponsor (Whole
Foods) underwriting the entire program, so Greater Media might be
opting to keep the contract going for a while longer, and getting
the guaranteed revenue from that for a timeslot that would otherwise
be pretty slow.  Can't imagine such a contract would be renewed,
though, so that show's probably done as soon as the contract's
up (or until they go with some other, more permanent format for
92.9, whichever comes first).  A shame, as that show's been part
of my Sunday morning routine for many years now, but that's the way
the ball bounces in the biz...

WBOS also had a blues show Sunday evenings, but I don't know if
that's still in place or not.  (Obviously, my attention was
elsewhere yesterday evening.)

Guess we're back to the days of the Format of the Month Club for
92.9.  Gotta admit, they had a pretty long run with the AAA format,
much longer than a lot of folks thought possible.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros -at- mit dot edu