The future of AM radio

kvahey@comcast.net kvahey@comcast.net
Fri Feb 1 18:58:52 EST 2008

This is a two part question that I have been pondering.

1. In Canada the AM band outside of the major population areas is
becoming extinct. What exactly does the CRTC plan to do with the
unused spectrum? On a related matter would the CRTC be open to
allowing non-Canadian signals to readust protection patterns for
stations that no longer exist. Prime example would be WEEI who no
longer should worry about the former CKVL.

2. Could we ever see the FCC do the same thing in the US outside major markets?

I have never understood why the CBC and CRTC wanted the national
service off AM. The expense of providing full FM coverage has to be
astronomical given the land area involved. Why eliminate the blowtorch
AM signals that could fill in the gaps especially at night. Will the
Maritimes have full service when 1070 goes silent?