Scary news about the analog TV phaseout!

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 15:08:19 EST 2008

The main problem with these new converters (just like
when UHF was a new additional expense back in the 50's
and 60's) is that, more times than not, they're numb
as hell.  OTA (over-the-air) Digital TV simply
requires a strong signal and most times, the
top-of-the-set rabbit ears or the UHF loops simply are
not enough to do the job, unless you're within the
near field of a station's footprint.  There are still
going to be some people out there (especially in THIS
economy) who simply cannot afford cable or satellite
service.  Many of these viewers depend on the
translator service for their television.  When DTV
becomes mandated for the translator service, many
folks will be out of luck.

On another note, I'm amazed on how some stations are
reverting to their original analog VHF-lo channel
assignments after operating their DT's on UHF.  WRGB
in Schenectady, NY is doing just that.  Considering
the hilly terrain of the area of Upstate New York and
Nearby Massachusetts.  VHF-lo will not work with DTV
very well.  It's been proven by several stations.
They'd be better off with a UHF translator from Mt.
Greylock.  Oh, well.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
                           "Scanning the bands since 1967"