Marvin Burak (was Re: passing of Joe Kruger)

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Dec 30 22:05:22 EST 2008

Do you also remember Marvin Burak (and his wife)? Marvin was the guy
from New Orleans who did Boston's first FM call-in talk show late
nights on WHIL-FM right after the station first went on the air. His
wife was the producer, IIRC. I don't think WHIL had a tape delay
system so I think Marvin had to repeat what the callers said, Sherm
Feller style. Marvin was not what I'd call a major-market talent;>)

BTW, for the person (I think it was Laurence) who called WHIL-FM a
low-power station, well, yes and no. Class B FMs were limited to 20 kW
@ 500' AAT in those days. WHIL-FM ran the full 20 kW. But the antenna
(I think it was a high gain job with maybe six bays) was side-mounted
on the WHIL (AM) tower, so the HAAT was only a tad more than
100'--definitely not competitive even in an era when I don't think any
Boston-area FM (except maybe WGBH-FM) had an HAAT much higher than
500'. IIRC, neither the Pru nor any of the Newton/Needham tall towers
had yet been built. FMs and TVs were scattered all around the area:
Old Hancock Building, Zion Hill, Medford Hillside, Lexington, Great
Blue Hill, Brighton.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367