Short-term Analog Flash and Emergency Readiness Act

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Mon Dec 29 14:53:28 EST 2008

>>Does Congress really think that the small percentage of viewers who've
consistently ignored the nonstop drumbeat of "get ready for DTV"
messages for over a year now will suddenly pay attention just because
there's nothing else on their analog-only screens to watch? (Or, even
more laughably, that they'll stay tuned to a nonstop crawl of "CALL
1-888-DTV-2009" just on the off chance that there will be an emergency
message somewhere in there that they need to see?)<<

Scott, Scott, Scott...how many times do your mother and I need to remind you that your propensity for clear and logical thinking doesn't exist in Congress?  :-)

Want some predictions?  On 2/18/09, TV stations will be besieged with two types of phone calls:

1) "Why isn't my TV working?"  (Proving, of course, that even when you hit people over the head with a baseball bat, a certain percentage still won't have your undivided attention.)

2) "You said I needed a converter box, and I didn't because I have cable (or satellite), so you lied to me."  (Demonstrating the way the explanations of the transition have been at best confusing...I don't even want to think about "at worst"...)

That funny YouTube video of the elderly woman trying to make sense of it all ("Will it bring back Jack Benny?") is going to turn out to be not so funny in a month and a half.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040