TV Memories - Pre-wired 300 ohm homes circa 1960

SteveOrdinetz hykker@wildblue.net
Tue Dec 23 20:45:29 EST 2008

John Bolduc wrote:
>I recall my dad when he was building our house around 1961 pre-wired
>the house with 300 ohm twin-lead. Each room had a three-prong female
>conection similar to ac power outlets.
>The twin lead leading from the televsion had a three prong male
>plug. I suspect the third/middle pronge was just for support.
>
>This is the only house that I've seen that was prewired for 300 Ohm,
>as opposed to the many homes I've scene prewired for 75 Ohm coax.

When my parents remodeled & added on to the family home in the late
50s/early 60s my father did the same thing.  I don't recall any sort
of splitter network, just a bunch of twin lead that (mostly)
dead-ended in the attic with the same outlets in most rooms (since we
only had one tv).  I took advantage of the wiring when I got my first
FM radio in high school & put up a separate antenna for FM and used
the wire that went to my room.

Cable never made it (afaik) to my folks' neighborhood...they went
straight from rooftop antenna to satellite tv sometime in the 90s.