TV Memories - Pre-wired 300 ohm homes circa 1960

John Bolduc n1qgs@yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 10:19:19 EST 2008

I recall my dad when he was building our house around 1961 pre-wired the house with 300 ohm twin-lead. Each room had a three-prong female conection similar to ac power outlets.
The twin lead leading from the televsion had a three prong male plug. I suspect the third/middle pronge was just for support.

See:
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1961_small/
Page 124  Item "O" for an example of the type of plugs used.

This is the only house that I've seen that was prewired for 300 Ohm, as opposed to the many homes I've scene prewired for 75 Ohm coax.

Anyways, the 300 Ohm wiring was connected to double conical VHF antenna as seen on page 123 of the same catalog.

After about six years of moderateratly good televsion reception, my dad dumped the system in favor of cable TV at $4.95 a month. The promise of microwaving in a French Canadian TV signal was the clincher.

I did not take after my dad, as I was instead a television laggard. I did not personally own my own color TV until 1984, purchasing a Zenith 13 inch model at Lechmere. I still own and use this television in my radio shack.

I dropped cable TV in 1991, while still a member of the Cable TV Advisory Board in Londonderry NH. Certain politics were involved here, including a number of those in my circle getting deeply discounted cable rates.  At that point I decided that I wasn't going to pay full price for something I can get for free.  Cable free OTR since then.

John B