WTAG and Ice Storm

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Dec 14 21:59:13 EST 2008

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> Which means props to Clear Channel. which as everybody here probably
> knows, has taken it on the chin repeatedly for lapses in the past in
> emergencies in other parts of the country. Now, does WTAG's
> performance herald a new leaf? Or is the company trying to atone for
> past problems elsewhere that it claims were incorrectly reported by
> competing media and then became urban legends that refused to die? Or
> is this the impact of the company's new private ownership, which had
> the reputation of not caring about radio except for the $$$$ it could
> bring in?

Or is it possible that the Minot affair really was both misreported and
atypical?

My local CC news-talk AM, WHAM (which, it should be noted, is my main
competition in my WXXI role), has never failed to be there for the
community in times of severe weather. It stayed on the air nonstop
through the ice storm we experienced here in 1991 (which dwarfed the
not-insubstantial present storm in MA/NH), and it's been there for every
storm since. (It also never left the air during the 2003 blackout, as I
recall.)

CC (which, it should also be noted, is an employer of mine, by way of
its being the parent company of Inside Radio, for which I edit The Radio
Journal) has probably spent more than any other broadcast group over the
last decade in bringing older AM sites up to modern engineering
standards, installing backup transmitters and auxiliary towers, and even
stationing several self-contained emergency stations (containing
crank-up towers, frequency-agile transmitters and rudimentary studio
equipment) in locations around the country so that its signals can get
back on the air even if their facilities are completely destroyed.

This predates both of the big disasters of the last decade, 9/11 and
Katrina.

On 9/11, the only World Trade Center-based FM station that stayed on the
air was the one owned by CC, 103.5 WKTU, because CC had invested in an
auxiliary site at 4 Times Square to keep its FMs on the air in case of
disaster. (Since then, CC has also built a complete off-site
studio/office facility at an "undisclosed location" so that it can stay
on the air even if its Manhattan studios are unusable.)

During Katrina, it was Entercom's WWL that got most of the attention for
its emergency service, as well it should have - but the guys at WWL will
be the first to tell you that they were able to stay on the air in large
part because Clear Channel had an emergency facility available in Baton
Rouge, complete with satellite uplinks to get programming back to
whatever transmitters could stay on the air in New Orleans. The
emergency simulcast that was heard over every working radio facility in
New Orleans in the days after Katrina came from that CC studio plant in
Baton Rouge.

It was CC, largely in the person of the late John Paoli, who fought like
hell against really nasty NIMBY opposition to make sure KFI in Los
Angeles could be restored to its full signal after its tower collapsed.
KFI's ratings didn't take a hit during the more than 3 years the station
was operating from the 25 kW short tower that remained (and that tower
was itself a sign of good emergency preparation!), but John and his
bosses believed in the importance of a full regional signal from a tall
tower. It wasn't cheap, but it got done, even as CC was going through
the throes of privatization.

They're far from perfect - no broadcaster is, and CC in particular has
always had a great deal of autonomy from market to market - but at least
in my experience, there's no "atoning" going on here...just one of the
most competent engineering teams in the country continuing to do what
it's long done well.