Ice Storm + Radio

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Sat Dec 13 14:54:08 EST 2008

While WCCM-AM is off-the-air, I've been getting very good reception
of WBNW-AM 1120 in Conkuhd, MA.

I mentioned earlier in the week that the WUNR-AM 1600 signal is
registering a higher figure on my radio that displays relative
signal strength, enough seemingly to squelch WHMP in East Longmeadow
at midday.  WUNR is still settling at the same reading, but at
noon today (Saturday) I could clearly hear a time tone and the CBS
News sounder at noon, and WHMP carries CBS news.  Skywave can happen
daytimes in December, and just like at night, it can fade out.  That
must be the reason  WUNR sounded so clear on Tuesday.  I've tried picking up WUNR
after sunset, but 1600 turns into a goulash of WWRL (the Alan Colmes show),
Fox Sports (I don't know which station) and some kind of music that I
don't believe they play on WUNR.  Sunday, I'll be in the
Back Bay for an all-Beethoven concert at the Gardner Museum (December
16th is the Big Guy's birthday according to Charles Schulz)
and I plan to check out WUNR's penetration into downtown;
even if I can't understand what they're saying, I can judge the
quality of signal.  It would help if like Radio Rumba and WNNW they
would run English-language PSA's.

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses