Ice storm damage Chris Halls stations

chris2526 chris2526@comcast.net
Sat Dec 13 00:37:59 EST 2008

WFNX: no problems

WPHX 1220 off air, no power anywhere in Southern Main

WPHX-FM off air no power, WFNX and Southern Maine Communications purchased a
large new generator which sits in storage
due to conflict with the death of the site land owner. WFNX owns the
building and the tower. The land is now in trust to her two children
who are at war which makes the Hatfields and McCoys look like kids play.  We
are at a stalemate with a lease which expired
just before the mother died, the son came over with a cease and desist order
as the fuel tanks were being installed.

WFEX started running on generator power Thursday afternoon around 3:30 PM
and made it through until 4:10 Friday afternoon when the T-1
and the ISDN backup failed along with the Burk R/C dial up.
WFEX has a third audio path which is an Inovonics broadcast
quality rebroadcast tuner with a yagi on the ceiling inside the transmitter
building which picks up 101.7 if all else fails.
We can't get up the mountain to manually switch the BT switcher to put the
tuner on the air.
I suspect the Burk may have taken a hit as the carrier is still on.
The entire Peterborough exchange 924 is out of service at this time.

WLLH Lowell power came back around 3:00 PM Friday, WLLH
Lawrence stabilized this afternoon but blew the breaker on the rear of the
Harris DAX-1 but there seems to be no other damage however.....
Neither stations had audio coming down the STL from Boston.
Calling Boston revealed that the T-1 had failed.
A trip or I should say an attempted trip up Wood Hill was out of the
question, Holmes Rd. in Andover is blocked with fallen trees and
power and Verizon lines down. Though there is generator power
for WLLH in the Greater Media building both the T-1 and back up ISDN
feed are dead.
Verizon will not even go out unil the city clears the road and National Grid
has restored power.
With the mess I saw all over Andover tonight it will probably be out for
some time.
Chris