Radio in 2009

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Dec 12 14:51:20 EST 2008

<<On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:26:48 -0500, "Bill O'Neill" <billohno@gmail.com> said:

> With all of the doom and gloom about the economy, or, as the Illinois
> governor would say, "With all of the bleeping &$^#  and @@#% over the
> bleeping econo-bleeping-my," what will Boston radio look/sound like in
> 12 months?  Fire sale prices?  Minimum wage board ops feeding birds?

Well, nationally, I'm looking for a number of group owners to enter
bankruptcy.  This will create opportunities for the better-managed
firms with access to private capital to acquire stations from
companies like Salem at attractive prices.  CBS will still be in the
radio business, and will still be trying to flog off its
smaller-market properties.  GE will still not be in the radio
business, but they might finally get a deal done with Ansin to buy
channel 7.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Bonneville acquire more
stations, perhaps getting back into New York if something comes on the
market at a decent price.  (You could have all of Emmis for slightly
less than $15 million today.  Act now!)

-GAWollman