must carry?

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Dec 8 14:00:35 EST 2008

<<On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:38:54 -0500, "Jim Hall" <aerie.ma@comcast.net> said:

> Also on the subject of "must carry":  will cable companies be required to
> carry *all* the sub-channels if a local station decides to multicast?

Not as a result of must-carry.  There's actually an interesting
application at the FCC right now where Urban TV (a 49% subsidiary of
ION) is applying for a "share-time" license to be implemented as a
subchannel of the ION O&Os.  If they FCC bought their logic (and it
seems particularly tortured to me), then there would be two "main"
programs on each ION transmitter, and both would have must-carry.

When you see secondary programs on cable, it's generally a result of
"retrans consent".

-GAWollman