DTV issues

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Mon Dec 8 00:01:01 EST 2008

You will need to get an RF modulator that will take the composite or S-Video
output and place them on (NTSC) channel 3 or 4

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
A. Joseph Ross
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 11:16 PM
To: Sid Schweiger
Cc: boston Radio Group
Subject: RE: DTV issues

On 7 Dec 2008 at 17:14, Sid Schweiger wrote:

> Play?  Yes.  Record?  Probably not.  The few current models of VCR are
> being sold without tuners, because it's considered a nearly-dead tech
> by the manufacturers.  DVD recorders would need a digital tuner, and
> so far I haven't seen any that have it.

But all I want to do is continue using the VCR and DVD player that I already
have.  I have cable, and I assume that if my VCR (which has an analog tuner)
is connected to cable, I'll still be able to record shows with it, just as I
can watch shows with an analog TV.  And I assume that if I connect the
adaptor to a VCR, it will record a program just as it always has.

> The few digital TVs I've seen have at least one regular set of line
> inputs (video, audio-L and audio-R) and one set of 480p
> color-separated inputs for a DVD player (labeled Y, Pr and Pb).

Since an older VCR doesn't have those connections, I hope there is a regular
input jack to connect a regular coax.

For that matter, I've occasionally wondered how I would connect a DVD player
to one of my older TVs, which has neither the three-plug video inputs nor an
S-video jack.