College Radio Today

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Dec 7 23:24:09 EST 2008

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> I think the take-away was supposed to be that her opinion represents
> that of college students in general. But since she is heavily involved
> in college radio but has no plans to pursue a radio career after
> graduation, I think the article makes too much of her opinion. She is
> clearly atypical. Her opinion may be interesting and her wording was
> memorable, so from a writing perspective, the author's use and
> placement of the quote was excellent. But the importance of the
> opinion is still questionable.

The vast majority of the people with whom I did college radio (WBRS,
1990-92) were heavily involved in the station but did not enter the
industry after graduation.

Seems to me her perspective is probably much more typical than that of
the handful of college radio people who do pursue a career in radio. I
know I'd rather hear from her than from some self-proclaimed expert of
the type so frequently quoted in these articles...and I say that as a
self-proclaimed expert who is indeed often quoted in such articles :-)