DTV issues

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Dec 7 18:05:05 EST 2008

Brian Vita wrote:
> Some of the sets I've seen also have a video out of some sort.
> ------Original Message------ From: Sid Schweiger Sender:
> boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org To: boston
> Radio Group Subject: RE: DTV issues Sent: Dec 7, 2008 5:14 PM
>
>>> Here's a question.  Someday I may want to get a new digital TV
>>> set.
> Will my analog VCR and DVD player play through a digital TV?<<
>
> Play?  Yes.  Record?  Probably not.  The few current models of VCR
> are being sold without tuners, because it's considered a nearly-dead
> tech by the manufacturers.  DVD recorders would need a digital tuner,
> and so far I haven't seen any that have it.

This was true a year ago; less so, now. Ironically, it's easier to find
tuner-equipped DVD recorders and DVD/VCR combos at the low-end places
(especially Wal-Mart/Sam's Club) than at higher-end places like Best Buy
or Circuit City.

Most of the ones I've seen with ATSC tuners have been Magnavox brand,
actually made under license by Funai. I have two "Magnavox" DVD
recorders with ATSC tuners that have been traveling with me for the last
year or so; they work pretty well and are lighter than the VCRs I was
hauling around before that.