The VHF's Return after UHF (was Re: CH 40 Analog was shut down Sun nite)

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 13:45:10 EST 2008

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008At 01:18 AM Mark Laurence wrote:

> >> I hope you're right.  I'm thinking "disastrous"
> for people who don't
> >> live within 20 miles of a transmitter.  I've
> spent some time plugging
> >> addresses into antennaweb for places I've lived
> in Central Mass. and
> >> Maine, places that had decent reception from all
> major networks.
> >> Once you throw the "digital" switch the channel
> choices drop to a
> >> small handful.  In many towns around Worcester,
> you'd better learn
> >> Spanish because channel 27 will be your only
> friend.

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:58:16 Mark Laurence
<marklaurence@mac.com> then replied:

> In some Worcester locations Providence works, but
> not all of them.
> Antennaweb is including the planned changes in
> February with the VHF
> moves.  But the new stations are not indicated in
> most of the
> locations I tried.

I know I am coming to this discussion a little late,
but in these locations you specify where reception is
bad to non-existent, how is the analog reception on
channels 25, 38, and 56?  If its not good, that would
be your problem.  Right now, if I am not mistaken, all
of Boston's DTV stations are broadcasting on UHF.  And
I also seem to recall the area around Worcester is
very hilly (UHF + hilly terrain = bad combination for
signal reception).  After Feb 2009, I would expect
that WHDH's reception would improve in these areas
because they are switching back to air channel 7,
which handles hilly terrain much better than UHF.

                                 Matt Osborne
                                 Schenectady, NY