The VHF's Return after UHF (was Re: CH 40 Analog was shut down Sun night)

TVNETDUDE@aol.com TVNETDUDE@aol.com
Sat Dec 6 08:28:19 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/5/2008 10:08:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
boston-radio-interest-request@tsornin.BostonRadio.org writes:

"Quite  the opposite from what I hear.  Especially low-band VHF, like
channels 2-6, have terrible coverage with DTV.  That's a major reason
why there are several proposals to force the 24 Ch.5 & 6 DTV stations  to
the UHF band and repurpose those frequencies into more FM
coverage/cleanup the AM Band.   Don't laugh, the guys at BMC  have really
done their homework and it CAN work, if the politics can be  overcome."

Actually the reason stations are bailing on the VHF channels (channels
2,3,4,5, and 6 especially) is that these channels suffer from impulse noise
year-round and ducting during the summer months.  DTV  (8-VSB) doesn't do ghosts or
any type of interference. This can include  planes overhead or in some cases a
bird sitting on your outdoor antenna. If you  have an indoor antenna any
motion in the room can cause tiling and loss of  audio. It is either excellent or
absent.

The antenna has to be getting a nearly pristine signal (very little  delay)
or you get nothing. This would not have been a problem if the  FCC  had chosen
COFDM, like the rest of the world, instead of the  kluged 1949 model we used
for analog (8-VSB) but that is an entirely  different argument. We have what we
have now.

When you look at charts that show available channels in your area,  unless
you are very local to the transmitter, it is understood that this is  from a
roof top antenna that is up 30 feet. I am not sure how many average  TV viewers
understand this or will want to jump on-board. We live in a  plug-and-play
society today.

On the upside of DTV, if you can make it work, in the larger markets you
will be getting a mini-cable TV line up. Many stations have opted to broadcast a
number of STV (standard) TV signals to one HDTV sugnal so you can get up to 4
or  5 STV channels for each standard TV channel. Outside of NYC I can get
about  25-30 video and audio sources from the NYC and NJ stations.

I am line of sight of the NYC transmitters from Empire and the Conde  Nast
building and have had pretty good results. It is very important to use the
right receive antenna. Even if you are line of sight with a TV  transmitter, you
will not have much luck with a VHF receive antenna if the  station is on a UHF
channel.

Mike