The VHF's Return after UHF (was Re: CH 40 Analog was shut downSun nite)

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Thu Dec 4 17:23:04 EST 2008

<<On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:01:37 -0500, "Dan.Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:

> The one local DTV channel that is more of a problem than the others
> is 38. Doesn't CBS own 38?  If so, I wish there were room for it on
> the Channel 4 tower because the digital signals from 2, 4, 5, and
> 44, which all use that tower, have been pretty trouble free.

38's DTV, on channel 39, is combined on the same master UHF panel
antenna as 4 (RF 30), 5 (RF 20), and 44 (RF 43).  2 (RF 19) and 44
(analog) are combined on the next antenna down.  (It was done this way
because the combiner vendor couldn't design a workable combiner with
sufficient isolation between the first-adjacents.)

> OTOH, 25, 38, 56, 62, and 68 all transmit DTV on UHF from the
> candelabra tower

No, only 25 (RF 31) and 56 (RF 41) are on the candelabra with digital.
62's and 68's DTs are on FM-128.

-GAWollman