The VHF's Return after UHF (was Re: CH 40 Analog was shut down Sun nite)

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Thu Dec 4 16:12:56 EST 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Sid Schweiger wrote:

>>> According to the FCC, here's where everything settles down after
>>> 2/17/09:
>
> ANALOG -> DIGITAL
> MA (Boston and Worcester metro only):
> 7 -> 7
> 2 -> 19
> 5 -> 20
> 4 -> 30...
> 46 -> 10...
>
> RI:
> 64 -> 12
> 12 -> 13...
> 10 -> 51

Is it still true that VHF will have significantly better coverage
than UHF signals?  If so, I don't understand the logic behind these
allocations.  Why does zero-audience channel 46 in Norwell get to
pick up a VHF frequency when long-established major stations go into
the UHF wilderness?  Did the FCC just roll dice?  Did some
broadcasters decide that over-the-air doesn't mean anything?

I can understand why you wouldn't think anything was wrong if you
live in an area with perfect reception.  Many people don't.  Some are
even residents of the city of license.  I expect we'll hear from many
of them in February.

Is there any potential for power increases, or repeaters?  If Boston
stations can't cover Worcester, then there should be Worcester
stations to carry the major broadcast networks.