Arbitron's sampling methodology is FAR moreimportantthanMrorMrsDePetro's misdeeds

Dan Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sat Aug 23 12:56:25 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don A" <donald_astelle@yahoo.com>
To: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>; "BRI+"
<boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: Arbitron's sampling methodology is FAR
moreimportantthanMrorMrsDePetro's misdeeds

> However, typically, they have been pretty accurate.

True.  But I do not think the comparison to radio ratings is valid.  It is
one thing to ask people who they voted for minutes after they voted.  It is
another thing entirely to track radio listening through self-reporting.

In any case, my point was not on the polling methods but the flaw of the
whole system being based on the honesty of radio and advertising people.

There is too much money at stake for people not to cheat.

By the way -- I worked in radio for 20 years but have not done so for nearly
5 years.  Would I be eligible to fill out a diary?