Arbitron's sampling methodology is FAR more important than Mr or MrsDePetro's misdeeds

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Fri Aug 22 15:25:38 EDT 2008

>>As I understand it, the PPM methodology is so bad in the urban areas of NYC,
that the City Council is involved with Arbitron to try to make the PPM
acceptable.<<

No.  It's not the methodology they're complaining about per se.  It's the results.  Stations programmed to (no delicate way to say this) non-whites took a huge nose-dive in the first PPM ratings, and other stations that had been ratings losers moved way up.  The obvious question is:  Which results were real?  Both?  Neither?  We don't know.  I suspect what the City Council will be looking for is justification for the PPM results, and I don't know that Arbitron can actually provide that to anyone's satisfaction.  It's one means of measurement, using one methodology.  Another outfit, using another methodology, will arrive at completely different results.  But, with one company in this business, we'll never know...we're stuck with Arbitron.

Having said that:  Do we really want government sticking their nose into this?  What business is it of theirs?  If they don't like what they hear from Arbitron, what are they going to do about it?  What CAN they do about it?

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF/WEEI/WEEI-FM/WKAF
WMKK/WRKO/WVEI/WVEI-FM