WKOX on the air from Newton?

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Aug 1 16:05:44 EDT 2008

Best I can tell, Garrett and the others who said they didn't believe
that WKOX was transmitting from Newton are correct (and I was
wrong)--assuming that nothing changed from last evening until a few
minutes ago. The signal strength minima on the CC Radio are not really
pronounced (perhaps attributable to good AGC), but the visual
indicator is a help--enough of a help that I didn't have to take the
radio outside to get readings that I'm willing to believe. First I
compared WBIX and WKOX. The minima were at about the same orientation
of the radio. Then I tried WRCA. The minimum was indeed about 45
degrees away from the WBIX/WKOX minima. I did not try WUNR because it
produces so few bars on the display.

The CC Radio may be somewhat more sensitive than the Super Radio
III--at least from the high 800s to maybe 1400. And the first-adjacent
selectivity is better than that of the SR as is the freedom from
front-end overload. The third-adjacent selctivity in the presence of a
very strong undesired signal is not as good as that of the SR. I live
only a mile more or less from WTTT (and WAZN). When I tune in WBNW on
the CC, WTTT is clearly audible and splatters into WBNW. That didn't
happen with the SR. Perhaps I can minimize the effect by rotating the
radio. So far, rotating the radio has not helped much, though.

Some stations that I've received on the CC Radio that I could not
receive on the SR under comparable conditions are WCBS by day, WGHM
(both blocked by WAMG on the SR during daylight hours) and WOON (which
is just barely listenable on the CC but was never heard by me on the
SR). I can get WLLH on the CC but I could also get it on the SR,
although I think reception on the CC is a little better. The graphical
signal strength display shows twice as many bars on 600W 1230 as it
does on 30 kW 1570, even though the two are quite close to each other.
Shows how good WESX's (about to be former) site is and how awful
WNSH's site is.

I think the SR was just a bit more sensitive on FM than the CC is.
With WZBC off, WICN was no problem for the SR. It is a problem for the
CC. Of course, WSMA makes reception of WICN more difficult and it
wasn't there yet when I experimented with WICN on the SR.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367