WKOX on the air from Newton?

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Aug 1 05:35:39 EDT 2008

For sure, there are no IBOC sidebands, And one reason that WKOX
sounded so good last evening is the wideband audio, which will go away
when IBOC comes on. BUT WRCA has no IBOC sidebands yet either and I
suspect that Beasley, which, like CCU, has been an ardent booster of
AM-band IBOC, has also installed IBOC in Newton. I obviously don't
know the FCC rules on this, but I would not be surprised if those
rules forbade the use of IBOC at new or upgraded directional AMs until
a license to cover had been granted. Given all of the brou-ha-ha about
pattern bandwidth, I can easily imagine that the FCC would delay the
use of IBOC until proofs were in hand demonstrating that an antenna
system met specs at the licensed frequency.

However, this morning I did note WKOX's legal, which still said
Framingham. When WRCA moved a month ago, the ID changed to Watertown
almost immediately. So I could be the latest member of the jumping the
gun on the WKOX move club, but I can say for certain that I have never
heard WKOX as loud and clear here at night as it was all night last
night (OK, whenever I woke up). If WKOX were to run 5 kW-N instead of
1 kW into the Framingham towers, its night signal where I live would
be as strong as its day signal--far from NIF but still quite
listenable, and the only station likely to be bothered at all (in
fact, though not on paper) would be CFGO.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367