RIP Don Gillis

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Thu Apr 24 16:35:09 EDT 2008

Bob Nelson wrote:

Don Gillis passed on last night; he worked with Curt Gowdy on radio and took
over for him when Curt injured his back...
Don started the first nightly sportscast in Boston at Ch 5/WHDH-TV I believe

  So sorry to hear of Don's passing. I spent many a Saturday late
morning/early afternoon watching "Candlepin Bowling" and Don's detailed
description of the action, which he would remind us a couple of times per
show was for the vision impaired viewers so they too could enjoy the show.
Don seemed to enjoy "Candlepins" and it kept him busy for alomost 14 years
after he retired from the nightly sports duties.

  Yes he was Boston's first nightly sports anchor. According to an article
on the Boston Globe's website, his son Gary (former Channel 7 sports anchor)
mentioned his dad's first sportscast was the same night as Johnny carson's
first Tonight Show. The Globe article can be found here:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/04/boston_sportsca.html

  Also, I clicked on the 3 video links in Channel 5's website story, the
first link is Don's intro shown before the final "Candlepin Bowling" show
aired in Jan. 1996. No one knew at the time of that taping the show was
being cancelled. Don recorded a special intro at the New England Sports
Museum to thank the viewers for their years of support. The other 2 links do
not feature Don Gillis, but part of the half hour show that followed Don's
show, "Candlepin Superbowl", which featured mixed doubles (each team
consisting of 1 male/1 female bowler). The host in the clips that are posted
is Bill O'Connell, who was the weekend sports anchor at Channel 5, later
weeknight sports anchor at Channel 56. IIRC, after leaving 56, didn't he
work in radio on Cape Cod?

Mark Watson