[B-R-I] 1.070 CBA Moncton Signing Off (For Good) Mon Morning

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Apr 6 17:39:08 EDT 2008

Doug Drown wrote:
>> So how many AM signals does CBC have left?
> 1550 in Windsor, ON is still operating.
> CBC One also has a fairly sizeable network of small-town AM outlets as
> well, that help provide coverage in areas where the larger FMs don't
> come in especially well.  Lac Megantic, QC, has a CBC One station on
> 1240 kHz.  St. Stephen, NB has one on 990.  McAdam on 600.  AFAIK those
> are going to continue.  I'm not certain of their power output, but I'm
> guessing they operate at not more than 100 watts.

There are two more sizable AM signals remaining in the east in addition
to CBE in Windsor. CBI 1140 in Sydney NS has a permit to move to FM but
hasn't built yet. CBN 640 in St. John's NL hasn't (yet) applied to move
to FM.

Out west, the CBC seems to prefer "nesting" city FM signals within
wide-coverage AMs. So the AMs in Edmonton, Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg
remain on the air, but with relatively low-power (class A or equivalent)
FMs serving urban audiences as a simulcast.

CBU Vancouver, 50 kW on 690, has applied to move to FM but is fighting
many commercial applicants for the frequency.