WTAG now on FM

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sun Apr 6 00:25:07 EDT 2008

The signal for 94.9 starts to get a little choppy east of Shrewsbury
and it's pretty much gone once you get inside of 495.  It is just a
translator, but since the stick is up in the Worcester hills--it may
be on the same tower as WSRS--it throws a very useable signal
throughout Worcester and the immediate surrounding towns, which is
where most of the population lives in the Worcester market.  It
simulcasted WJMN for awhile, but that station covers the market just
fine.  It didn't need a translator.  That was probably just a
placeholder until the FCC lifted the ban on simulcasting AM stations
on FM translators.  WTAG's night signal does get noisy at times once
you get a few miles out of town, and this helps the situation.
Considering that WTAG now has two local news/talk competitors--WCRN
and 1230 the Patriot (WNEB--don't know if the calls changed) this
move gets them on FM, which gives them an advantage.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"