Lobel , Kulhawik all done at Channel 4

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 14:53:04 EDT 2008

Add Jackie MacMullen to that list - she's leaving the Globe soon. I'm not sure if she's interested, but now she doesn't have restrictions on where she can appear (such as WEEI or Comcast SportsNet)

----- Original Message ----
From: David Tomm <nostaticatall@charter.net>
To: Chuck Igo <chuckigo@maine.rr.com>
Cc: Bill O'Neill <billohno@gmail.com>; (newsgroup) Boston-Radio-Interest <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2008 1:22:03 PM
Subject: Re: Lobel , Kulhawik all done at Channel 4

If there is anytime for an FM sports talker to emerge, it's this
year.  Lobel is just one of many people who are in flux right now.
The Globe and Herald are trimming staff as well, and even existing
sportswriters at both papers have media gigs on the side.  There is
plenty of local talent out there.  With the Score in Providence
flipping formats last month, there are even behind the scenes people
available.

The big prize is Glenn Ordway.  He is set to make an obscene amount
of money when his contract expires later this year.  Unless Entercom
is really stupid, they better be prepared to pay him much more than
they're paying Howie Carr, because someone out there will.  I find it
interesting that in recent months, WEEI has locked down much of their
talent to multi-year deals.  D&C, Michael Holley, Dale Arnold and
Pete Sheppard all have new contracts.  Plus, they are rapidly trying
to add affiliates for their "sportsradio network" to increase their
regional profile.  Do they think Ordway will stay if they can spread
the WEEI brand throughout New England?

If Entercom decides to play hardball with Ordway, I could easily see
WBCN making the flip.  If they were to bring in the Big O, you could
see a lineup of O&A, followed by Lobel (paired up with someone),
another local show, Ordway in PM drive and a local show at night.
They already have the Pats, and the Bruins can come over from WBZ.
When/If WAMG finally flames out, they could bring in the ESPN
affiliation for overnights and fringe weekend hours, and maybe put
Mike Felger on early afternoons or nights.  A formidable competitor
to WEEI on FM could be put together in short order.  This may not be
the greatest time for CBS/Boston to be investing sizable capital into
content, but the payoff could be huge in the long run.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"