A Bronx cheer to WRKO

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Sat Sep 29 03:21:13 EDT 2007

The Sox won tonight to bring the magic number down to one, and the players went into the
clubhouse to watch the end of the Orioles-Yankees game. In the 9th inning, ace Mariano
Rivera gives up three runs and the O's tie it, 9-6 (bases clearing triple)...it goes into extra innings
and the O's win it in the 10th on a squeeze play (you could almost hear Phil Rizzuto--"and it's
bunted, bunted down the third base line, the suicide squeeze is on! It's gonna be close,
here's the throw, here's the play at the plate--holy cow I think he's gonna make it!")

Yankees lose, theeeeeeeeee Yankees lose and there's pandemonium on the field at Fenway
where the Sox have just won the AL East division title for the first time since 1995! But
WRKO is not there to share the joy. Instead a Bronx born talk host, Michael Savage, is on.
Yes, yes, WEEI is there to carry the festivities and interviews...their sister station. Joe C
and Geffner are around to do interviews and dodge the champagne. Yup, it was on WEEI
but where was the Red Sox flagship station? (Maybe they figured there was no way
the Orioles could come back, etc. Maybe...)

(At work, I listened to the Sox game and then tuned to WEEI and heard them say the
O's had the bases loaded in the 9th. I had to strain to pick up WCBS--while the signal
would come in fine outside, it was tough at work due to machinery. I could barely
hear John Sterling say what had happened, etc.

I did listen to the celebration on WEEI, which does come in at work but there's a lot
of static due to machinery. Too bad it wasn't on WRKO.

A Bronx cheer to 680. And not for the first time. The Sox haven't won the AL East
in 12 years. Where was WRKO?