WGAN----FM?

Paul Hopfgarten paul@derrynh.net
Fri Sep 28 08:27:58 EDT 2007

While perhaps Nassau will (or has) shifted the "Wolf" Country to 107.5, and
I don't believe they have yet....

107.5, at least for a while is WFNK "Frank FM" playing Classic Rock....(and
the Nassau site as of today lists 107.5 as Frank FM)

-Paul Hopfgarten
-Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 6:44 AM
To: Doug Drown
Cc: BRI; Donald A.
Subject: Re: WGAN----FM?

----- Original Message -----
From: Doug Drown <revdoug1@verizon.net>

> The old WGAN-FM 102.9, a "beautiful music" station, is now WBLM.
> There's a
> long story there; I'll make it short: when Guy Gannett
> Communications sold
> WGAN and WGAN-FM, the purchaser was Taylor Communications, which I
> think was
> another Portland-based outfit.  The FM station was rechristened
> WTHT and, if
> memory serves, the format was changed to Top 40 rock (this was in
> the waning
> days of such).  WBLM up in Lewiston, which was at 107.5 mHz with a
> weakersignal than WTHT's 100,000-watt blast, was anxious to move
> into the Portland
> market.  It was (and still is) a progressive rock station and had
> a sizeable
> and loyal listenership.  WBLM and WTHT worked out a trade.  WBLM
> moved to
> Portland and to 102.9; WTHT moved to 107.5 and remained in
> Portland.  It
> ultimately became a country station.  That's the tale in a
> nutshell; I
> believe I've given it pretty accurately.
>
> -Doug

102.9 was bought by Taylor Communications (of Cape Cod) along with AM
560 from Guy Gannett in 1983.  Taylor ran WGAN-FM 102.9 as a CHR
Flamethrower for a few years.  The WTHT change came later in 1987 when
Taylor sold WGAN-AM to Saga with Saga keeping the WGAN call letters
for the AM.  along the way, WTHT was CHR, then Oldies then Country.
then came the frequency flip with Fuller-Jeffries for 107.5 moving
WBLM to 102.9 and WTHT (country - still is - now Nassau's The Wolf)
shifting to 107.5

- - Chuck (changed the Shulke reels on WGAN-FM too many times to
count) Igo