Manchester radio (WKBR/WFEA).

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Sep 25 00:33:09 EDT 2007

On 24 Sep 2007 at 21:32, Doug Drown wrote:

> I've got some great teenage memories from the '60s of listening to
> WFEA and to the old WKBR-FM (now, ironically, WZID).

I grew up in Bedford, Mass.  I remember once being at a friend's
house, and he was picking up WFEA.  They were doing the gag that a
number of top-40 stations did at that time of having lost a letter
from their call letters, and calling themselves WFE*.  There was some
sort of contest involved with it.  I think I remember WPTR doing the
same thing before that, losing the T.

I also remember listening to WKBR-FM, especially on Saturday
afternoons when they played the previous year's hits.  And after 10
PM, when WBZ and WMEX were doing talk and, after summer 1962, WCOP
had dropped the top-40 format.