Judge gives mixed results in Carr case

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Wed Sep 19 17:26:03 EDT 2007

Howie could have really screwed himself here.  By negotiating and
signing a deal with GM before his Entercom contract expired, it
triggered the "right to match" clause that the judge upheld.  If he had
just negotiated with GM, agreed to nothing on paper, and let September
19th come and go, the Entercom contract would have expired and he could
have then signed with GM on the 20th.   Entercom would have been
powerless to do anything about it--at least that's how I'm reading it.

This is all going to ride on how that right to match clause in his
contract is worded.  Is it just a salary match or can other factors
like daypart and working conditions be part of it?  And, is it worded
that if Entercom indeed "matches" that offer to the letter of the
contract, does that automatically extend the contract the length of the
competing offer, even if Carr doesn't agree to it?  Clarifying what
constitutes a "matched offer" is the next step in the process.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"