WSMN Gets Extension Thru March 2008

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Tue Sep 11 15:13:06 EDT 2007

I haven't been over to the WUNR/WRCA/WKOX transmitter site on Sawmill Brook
Parkway since July, but I suspect there are vehicles there right now (even on
a rainy day) as engineers prepare the site for its two new occupants (WRCA
and WKOX) and changes for a longtime tenant, WUNR.  As far as the latter is
concerned, any testing to be done will be based on the assumption that
Nashua, NH's WSMN-AM 1590  will someday resume operations with its licensed
facility, 5,000 watts DA-1 from just west of NH route 3.  But right now,
it's operating with a temporary STA (I know, the Dept. of Superfluous Redundancy
Dept. will say STA's by definition are temporary) of about 200 watts until a new
permanent array can be built.  I checked the WSMN entry at fcc.gov's website and
it includes correspondence from mid-August that allows WSMN to maintain its current
facilities until no later than next March.  The letter assumes that Absolute
Broadcasting is making a legitimate effort to find a new site and build the
requisite array.  As Bob the furniture guy says, I doubt it.  (Also,
it appears to me that the FCC believes that WSMN is transmitting from W. Hollis St
and not from the AM 900 tower on Pine Street in downtown Nashua.) If WSMN
doesn't get its act together and start running 5KW DA-1 by next spring, could
the gummint shut them down until they do?  Or could they apply for some NDA
operation similar to what they're doing now, giving WUNR an opportunity to emit a
little more juice in a northwesterly direction?

--
We've Got Your Name @ www.mail.com!!!