Ed Schultz (was: Prov. shuffle: Rush, Buddy, etc)

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Sep 7 04:11:03 EDT 2007

>Bob wrote--
>Today Sean Hannity was making fun of Schultz--and saying Schultz
>makes fun of him on HIS show all the time. He brought up a recent
>incident in a bar where a GOP donor somehow thought that
>Schultz was still a Republican, as he apparently was a bit
>more conservative in his earlier radio career, and a big
>fight ensued. It was apparently mentioned in a Fargo, N.D.
>newspaper.

Too bad the newspaper didn't bother to be accurate, and had to pull
half of what was on its website.  According to various witnesses, the
rightie had been drinking heavily and called Ed some rude names and
also threatened Ed; the guy then called Ed's wife even worse
names.  Ed used to be a heavy drinker, but since he re-married, he
basically will have a couple of beers, and he didn't want to fight
with the guy.  But the guy persisted, and he got up in Ed's face, so
Ed pushed him away; then bouncers got involved, the rightie was asked
to leave, the end.  Today's version of the story was a bit more
accurate but that was only after people who had been at the club in
question called the newspaper and objected to their breathless
tabloid-style "Ed Schultz in a bar fight" headlines.  The newspaper,
the Fargo (ND) Forum,  is owned by a major donor to the Republican
party and never says a kind word about Ed even though he has HUGE
ratings in Fargo (he's the only progressive on an all rightie
station, but he still gets big numbers).  I understand that not
everyone likes Ed, but since nobody at the newspaper was at the club
and got the story only from the rightie, the paper seemed all too
eager to run something that made Ed look bad.  Today, the paper did
seem to back down from its earlier coverage.

That said, Hannity and Schultz have been going at each other on the
air the same way Keith Olbermann goes after Bill-o and vice
versa.  Hannity has said that Ed has no advertisers and Democratic
congressmen keep him on the air by buying time on his show-- which by
the way is totally false; Ed's show is sold out with (gasp) real,
honest to goodness advertisers, some local and some national.  When
Ed first went on the air, two congressmen lent him money so he could
keep the show afloat, but that was in 2004.  Ed has offered to debate
Sean, but Sean keeps refusing.  So they snipe at each other on the
air, the way talk show hosts often do.  But in this case, by all
accounts, there was no "bar fight" and Ed did nothing wrong.  Those
of you who are involved with sports radio, you know that some people
will come up to a ballplayer in a club or at a bar and start telling
them how they sucked last night or they're a crappy player etc.  The
impression I get is that this incident with Ed started off with the
rightie saying he disliked Ed's show and it just escalated into not
liking Ed's political views and then on into insults and curses and
threats.  Ed was annoyed about it because he said he was just trying
to have a nice evening out with his wife...

Ed still is conservative about certain issues, by the way-- he is
very much pro-life, but doesn't believe the government should impose
religious doctrines on anyone else, so he just doesn't discuss it on
his show.