Prov. shuffle: Rush, Buddy, etc

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Sep 6 21:38:18 EDT 2007

I have no idea what year you are talking about, but the problem was
not likely the signal but the interference from CKVD (I think those
were the calls--outside Montreal) and WYLF in Penn Yan NY. Both of
those stations were not operating in accordance with their licenses.
Unhapplily, it is very difficult to get such situations under control.
the Canadians have always shown indifference toward illegal operation
of their AMs. and the Penn Yan station has been a notorious cheater.
Nevertheless, even after it paid a hefty fine after years of obviously
repeated and willful volations, it was recently reported to be
cheating anew. If those allegations are correct, rhe station should
lose its license and the owner should be barred from ever owning
another station. I think the FCC at least nominally has the authority
to revoke broadcast licenses for flagrant technical violations but, as
far as I know, owners who have operated their stations irresponsibly
are not officially barred from future ownership. The Media Bureau may
make it so difficult for such individuals to acquire stations that
most of them may give up on the idea, but I've not heard of official
prohibitions. Operators of unlicensed broadcast stations are supposed
to be barred from future ownership but the same punishment does not
seem to be meted out to those who operate licensed stations
irresponsibly.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367