If 890 is sold

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Sep 2 14:59:31 EDT 2007

This is my third resend; this apparently didn't get through the first
three times I tried to send it. My apologies to anyone who has already
seen it.

Wrong! I'm pretty sure that LANGER built the 1060 upgrade!!! AFAIK,
completing the upgrade was a condition of his sale of the station to
Bleidt. Moreover, all of the planning and design were done under
Langer's aegis. Neither the sale from Langer to Bleidt nor the sale
from Bleidt to Egan had closed while the work was under way. I think
an application for transfer of control to Bleidt might have been
tendered (and even been accepted for filing) once the license to cover
was granted--BUT Langer continued to hold a note on the license and
facilities, so there were probably some legal complexities related to
the actual ownership even then. Moreovoer, that note and the
conditions that Langer attached to it explain why the court pretty
much had no alternative but to mandate transfer of the station back to
Langer after Bleidt was taken into custody. However, most of the
construction DID take place while Bleidt was LMAing the station from
Langer. Nevertheless, AFAIK, neither Bleidt nor Egan ever officially
owned WMEX/WBIX--but if I'm wrong about that, Bleidt was the official
licenssee only for a very short time.

The station has quite a history of such arrangements. Garabedian LMAed
it first to a woman from Texas (I have no idea of her name) and she
changed the calls to WSTD. When that deal collapsed after a year or
so, Garabedian LMAed it to Pat Whitley and it became WTTP. I don't
know about ownership vs LMAs during the ensuing period (of at least
five years), but one of the owners or operators during that period was
the licensee of WLQV Detroit, a Christian broadcaster. That company
must have had a special affinity for AMs that couldn't get licenses to
cover because of DA problems;>) And after Langer first got the station
back on the air as WJLT, a 500W daytimer in (I think early 1997), the
LMA partner was "pastor" Tim Horton's  Great Commission Broadcasting.
At some point, Horton ran into financial problems and maybe even legal
difficulties and control reverted to Langer, who, at that time,
definitely held the license.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367