If 890 is sold

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 19:54:05 EDT 2007

>>> 99.5 is still a better signal than 850...
>>
>> Can't say I agree with that.
>
> Yeah, sure.  How great is 850 after dark much outside of 128?  It sucks.

Can't agree with that.  I live outside 128 and it comes in crystal clear all
the time.

> How about 850 during the day in Worcester county and Southern New
> Hampshire, the fastest growing regions of the Boston metro?  It sucks.
> 99.5?  Crystal clear in those areas.

99.5 in the South Shore?  Sucks.

(And the Boston metro ends at the NH border for the most part...and ends at
Worcester Country.)

> As far as South Shore goes, it's been mentioned that 103.7 fills the gaps
> in that region nicely.

So you'd be filling in part of the Boston metro with a station licensed to
Rhode Island?

Not to mention that 103.7 already exists.

Not a great Idea.

What basically you are doing is adding lots of land populated with trees to
the coverage area.

For what reason I don't know.

103.7 is there either way.

>>over the ENTIRE ADI

When was the last time someone asked for an ADI quote?

> So under your scenario, Entercom allows another broadcast company to pick
> up ESPN and potentially use it against WEEI, and you'd be OK with that.

That's what is happening now.  And WEEI is OK with this.

> Greater Media could easily pick it up and put it on 92.9 along with some
> local hosts and take WEEI on head to head.  CBS radio could do the same
> thing on 104.1.  But, since you love 850 so much, you'd just wait for
> another company to put sports on FM...

So, you would put your already wildly sucessful format on an inferior signal
because you are afraid of what *might* happen?

You can stay awake all night running thru "boogie-man" scenarios.

> It parks ESPN on a co-owned station and more importantly KEEPS IT AWAY
> FROM A COMPETITOR!!

ESPN National is a non-entitiy in cities where they have a dominant local
sports station.

Every format leader could waste their time and resources thinking about what
would happen if a competitor took dead aim at them.

Never mind flipping to a out of town signal just to beat them to FM.

>  Is this so hard to figure out?

No, it's easy to figure out.

>  As long as the ratings go to the same company, who cares?

Thats a big assumption..

The scenario I would draw is that if they put WEEI on 99.5....WBOS and WBCN
might look an opportunity to go head-to-heard with the format. (Seeing the
weakness of 99.5's signal.)