Carr, Entercom make their cases

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Oct 17 01:56:57 EDT 2007

On 16 Oct 2007 at 15:42, Don A wrote:

> Joe, this would, in effect, take years, right?
>
> ...especially with the SJC?

Maybe and maybe not.  If parties are looking for an injunction, it is
sometimes possible to get a temporary order from a single justice.
That can be done in a week or so.  It's not a final order, but it can
in many ways dispose of the case.  If a single justice of the Appeals
Court decides that Carr has a reasonable shot at prevailing on the
merits of the case and that he will suffer irreparable harm from a
delay, s/he could enter some sort of an order that would permit him
to go to work for WTKK while the appeal is pending.  That alone
could, as a practical matter, end the case.  Or perhaps encourage
settlement.

As for how long the actual appeal takes, the Appeals Court was
expanded by about six judges several years ago, and it has cleared
the backlog.  I just got a decision in an appeal that we took up
early this year.  As for the SJC, I'm not sure, but I think the
appeal in the Louise Woodward case took under a year from the time of
Judge Zobel's decision to the issuance of the SJC decision.