Conelrad in Boston area

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Thu Nov 22 13:15:50 EST 2007

When I heard a Conelrad test in 1961 (at age 12), the 640 transmitter
was strong and 1240 was much weaker.

I was living in Arlington, MA at the time, right next to Menotomy Rocks
Park and 500 ft. north of Route 2 / Belmont town line.

The 640 signal was good enough to be from either 590 (Medford) or 680
(Burlington): both local-quality then as now of course.

1240 may have been from 1260 on the Quincy-Milton line, hardly a
"barn-burner" signal in Arlington but fine in Boston and nearby South
and North Shore areas.

At the time I was under the likely-incorrect illusion that the 640 and
1240 rigs were at the Framingham (or Natick?) Civil Defense facility.

Since I was so convinced that these transmissions were from
Framingham-Natick, it didn't occur to me to take any direction-finding
cuts at the time.  Because I wasn't driving yet, I would have had to
take a few bus rides to get enough DF lines to triangulate these
accurately.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody !

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA

<<