HD Callsigns

Paul Hopfgarten paul@derrynh.net
Wed Nov 21 19:13:32 EST 2007

Let's be honest here, the VAST majority doesn't really care WHAT your FCC ID
is, and as long as my sports talk is on 850, 103.7, 1440 or 105.5 (PS: How
many people in So NH tune to JYY looking for Sports Talk?) and they don't
know (or care) if it's HD, LD or LDS (latter Day Saints) for that matter...

Sid should get Nassau to put JYY on 102.3 and use 105.5 for the //WEEI
simulcast when they turn on the NH Simulcasts in January!

-Paul Hopfgarten
-Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Dan.Strassberg
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:01 PM
To: Scott Fybush; Sid Schweiger
Cc: 'B-R-I'
Subject: Re: HD Callsigns

Well, OK. I won't use the term call-sign in this context. But how does
it reduce confusion to use both identifiers, and to thereby suggest to
the vast majority of the audience--who are, in fact, listening to the
analog transmission--that they are listening to a digital
transmission?

Since the digital stream can contain info that the receiver can
display, wouldn't the requirement of the rule be met by transmitting
the identifier of the digital stream so that it would be displayed on
HD receivers but would not be audible to listeners to the analog
transmission (or the digital stream)? Or do I still not understand?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367