HD Callsigns --> Question re AM HD

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Nov 20 12:11:00 EST 2007

The digital sidebands do not merely affect reception of
first-adjacent-channel stations "200 miles from the transmitter." The
interference can be quite audible well within the protected local
service area of the affected station. A Canadian broadcast engineer,
Barry McLarnon (Google him), has done a lot of careful analysis and
has written extensively on this subject. In the case of WABC and WJR,
I've read that the interefence begins at something like the 13 mV/m
(groundwave) contour of each station. Note that I said groundwave.
When IBOC is in use, skywave service, which is supposedly protected
down to the 0.5 mV/m 50% skywave contours of these Class A AMs, must
be completely decimated on many nights. In WABC's case, the
interference to the groundwave signal probably occurs well within the
five boroughs of New York City (parts of Queens and Staten Island),
not to mention suburban Nassau, Westchester, and Fairfield Counties.
For WJR, it must certainly occur well within the Detroit metro. There
have been reports of objectionable interference to KDKA from WBZ
within the Pittsburgh city limits. If WBAL is running IBOC at night,
it must seriously interfere with WTIC well within the Hartford metro.
Meanwhile, KDKA must cause objectionable interference to CFRB within
the Toronto city limits.

The first-adjacent problem is so severe because of the very high
modulation levels on the digital sidebands. Even though the sideband
power sounds modest, the nature of the modulation makes the effective
power considerably higher. And the sidebands fall squarely on top of
the first-adjacent channels. The effect is even easily noticeable on
the second-adjacent channel. Try listening to WINS's killer skywave
signal here at night. WBZ's lower digital sideband often completely
inundates WINS.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367