WODS & WROR Flip To All Christmas

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Wed Nov 14 14:52:31 EST 2007

If you use the original parameters of the oldies format today--songs
had to be at least ten years old, then anything up to 1997 would be
considered an "oldie."  Could you imagine WODS playing Celine Dion and
Sugar Ray?

The format has well branded itself over the years.  It targeted the
baby boomers, defined the music era as the late 50's to the early 70's
with 64-68 being the core years, and rode the population wave through
the extremely profitable 25-54 era without evolving or changing, and
now it's riding off into the 55+ sunset.  Because of the marketing, the
music of this era will always be known as "oldies."  That's why
stations are dropping the term and re-positioning themselves as
"classic hits" as they add newer material to it's playlists.

I find it wildly ironic that it was baby boomer programmers and GM's
that killed off the big band and standards stations back in the 80's
and 90's and transitioned them to "oldies", declaring that "no one
wants to hear 40 year old music anymore" and "55+ doesn't spend any
money."  Now that these same people are now aging into the 55+ demo and
it's THEIR music that's disappearing from the airwaves, there's all
sorts of whining and complaining..."baby boomers are different!"  Guess
what, you're not.  Amazing how karma comes back to bite you in the
a$$....

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"