990

Joseph Pappalardo joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com
Wed May 30 21:54:10 EDT 2007

It was said on the list...

> But,
> try as I did, I never could pick up WLKW at all,
> despite its being only
> about 65 miles away --- 50,000 watts or no 50,000
> watts.

Thats because by design, you weren't supposzed to pick
it up.  ;-0

990AM in RI is highly directional.

It reminds me of WUNR in Brookline.

Growing up in the suburbs, I would always see WUNR
listed in the Globe, etc....but I could never pick it
up.

Then Dan Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net> wrote:

> The question is, where does WALE have a good signal?

A long time ago, I recall that 990AM put a pretty good
signal over downtown Providence.

I believe the main lobe of the signal extends from
Burreville, RI Southeast over Providence and continues
Southeast.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=&state=&zipcode=02859

The old days had WLKW 990AM recieving DX reports from
Bermuda.

If you look at the direction of Bermuda from RI, and
imagine the Southeast signal, you can see how that
just might be possible!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=BM&addtohistory=&city=