Some XM Satellite Radio customers face outage - update

Ric Werme ewerme@comcast.net
Tue May 22 13:28:29 EDT 2007

> Here's the latest XM press release:
>
> XM Service Update
>
> As many of you know, XM customers have experienced service outages or
> significantly degraded service since Monday mid-morning, May 21.
>
> We quickly identified the problem and are working hard to return to our
> normal levels of service. The problem occurred during the loading of
> software to a critical component of our satellite broadcast system, which
> resulted in a loss of signal from one of our satellites. We expect normal
> service to resume midday today (eastern daylight time).

Interesting.  Why couldn't they just reload the old software?  Why
does the other satellite work?

While there are dozens of good answers, one could readily start
a rumor that they lost the whole bird.  It could also be that they may have,
but are desperately trying to recover before rumors reach the stock market.

    -Ric Werme

but blame the rumor on someone else!