"Hometown Tradition" Does NOT Continue At WCCM

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Wed May 16 15:11:43 EDT 2007

My two cents' worth, as a broadcasting nonprofessional:  That FCC rule about
newspaper/radio/TV cross-ownership should be scrapped.  It's meaningless,
and personally I think it was a non-issue to begin with.  Some newspapers
were actively involved in the news operations of their co-owned stations;
others were not.  WGAN AM-FM-TV in Portland were owned by Guy Gannett for
decades, but Gannett's three Portland newspapers were hardly ever mentioned
on the air, and the broadcasting stations and newspapers were virtually
entirely separate operations.  It's ironic after the WGAN split-up, Harron
Communications, the owners of rival TV station WMTW, struck up a deal with
the Press Herald (now owned by the Blethen family of Washington state) to do
joint news coverage.  That sort of thing has happened in a lot of cities.

I can see limiting the number of broadcasting stations that a newspaper can
own in a given metro area so as not to create a media monopoly, but
otherwise I don't see how it's a problem.

-Doug