Adventure Car Hop is the Place to Go

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed May 16 00:52:59 EDT 2007

On 15 May 2007 at 12:32, markwa1ion@aol.com wrote:

> Speaking of "bogus" records being given away at Adventure Car Hop, I
> remember a similar thing about Eddy Mitchell of 'COP.  In the summer
> of '61 he appeared in Belmont Center in a Karmann Ghia plastered with
> WCOP stickers.  Kids mobbed the car as an assistant tossed 45 rpm
> singles out to be caught (or smash on the hot pavement, as a fair
> number did).  Not one of the singles was a hit or even anything that
> anyone could recall as ever having been played on the radio.  In other
> words, total dogs.  They were passable frisbees I guess.

WCOP was king in Bedford in those days, until they dropped the Top 40
format.  A couple of the DJs lived in Bedford, and they tended to get
hired to do the school record hops.  They gave records away, too, and
usually junky records.  The labels said on them that they were radio
station promotion copies, not for sale, and they often were marked
with a marker which side was supposed to be the hit side.  Except
none of them were.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581