Adventure Car Hop is the Place to Go

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Tue May 15 21:42:29 EDT 2007

Donna Halper wrote:
> What's interesting was that even at a young age, before I knew I'd be
> going into radio, I could perceive that the station rotated the songs,
> and I knew how often certain songs would come up... they used really
> really tight rotations in the early days of top 40, given that there
> were few "oldies" to fall back on.
A common practice at Portland stations in the 60's (WJAB, Westbrook
comes to mind) was the name "Extra" to denote a song that had dropped
off the Top 30, but was still playable for a little while longer before
it finally went to sleep for a while before finally being resurrected as
an Oldie.  Kinda like the opposite of a Hitbound.

When Sunny Joe White was at Kiss, they used to drop songs from airplay
completely after they had their Top 30 run and kept them buried for just
the right amount of time (usually a year or more) before bringing them
back to a listener's "Oh Wow" welcome back.