A fun trivia question

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Sun May 6 23:00:12 EDT 2007

My Dad was hired by NBC in late 1949 or early 1950 to crew the first Today
show. He knew Buffalo Bob, and my earliest memory of TV was Buffalo looking
straight into the camera and saying "David, you have to eat your
vegetables". This must have been around 1954. I would have been about 3
years old. I ran into a closet and refused to come out until Dad came home
and talked me out.

He brought home an RCA color set sometime around 1956. I was very young, so
I have some confused memories about that time. I remember watching Bonanza
in color, but I think that show didn't air in color until 1957 or 1958. He
transferred to RCA in Camden in 1958, and I remember staying a couple of
nights in the now-demolished Cherry Hill Inn, which featured an RCA color
set in each room. The RCA color set in that room was of a clearly more
recent vintage than the set we had at home.

Years later, in 1968 and later in 1972, I worked at channel 13 in Albany,
WAST at the time, in their old meat-locker facility on North Pearl Street.
We aired the Soap Opera "Dark Shadows" on a one-week delay. ABC sent us
monochrome kines but they aired the show in color, so I had to cut the audio
briefly to block the phrase "in color". We aired Merv Griffin, Dick Cavett,
and Roller Derby on quad tapes. It was, needless to say, an interesting
operation...

Somewhere, I still have the RCA "Color TV Manual" that described methods
that could be used by TV stations to convert gradually to color. Not a lot
different in concept from the transition to digital TV and the transition to
digital radio.

Lots of memories here, but that's about it for the introduction of color TV.

-Dave Doherty
 Skywaves, Inc.
 97 Webster Street
 Worcester, MA 01603