WLLH info for Dan

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun May 6 20:38:50 EDT 2007

At 11:33 AM 5/6/2007, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>Great, Chris! Thanks for the history lesson. .. Scott and Donna are widely
>regarded as THE sources of accurate radio history info in this part of the
>world and your message belongs in their archives.

And we try to be as accurate as possible, so we are always
appreciative of new information!  :-)

Chris wrote--
> > Dan,  during my years of employment at Jam'n 94.5 and WLLH I became
> > very friendy with the Lerner family who owned WLLH from the 50's through
> > the 90's.  Arnold Lerner gave me copies of an interesting collection of
>WLLH
> > information from its inception on October 10, 1934.

And I'd love to see copies of some of it.  I am friendly with some
members of the Harrison family-- Gerry Harrison was one of the
original participants in the stations that came before it, WLEX and
WLEY in Lexington, one of which was sold to the late great John
Shepard 3rd and the other of which migrated to Lowell to become
WLLH.   According to Federal Radio Commission/Federal Communication
Commission files, the call letters for WLLH were picked up on 13
August 1934, but interestingly, the official license to move the
station to Lowell didn't arrive till 6 November 1934.  In addition to
Gerry Harrison, Al Moffat was also involved-- Al was a former
newsreel photographer, who put WMAS on the air in Springfield in 1932
and had been friends with the folks who put WLEX and WLEX on the air
in the mid 1920s  (that bunch included Gerry Harrison, Carl Wheeler
and Jack Dodge-- who also experimented with mechanical television in
1928-30).  If I recall correctly, Gerry Harrison went on to be WLLH's
general manager for quite a while.