Low cost remote stereo feed to FM station

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun May 6 11:23:16 EDT 2007

<<On Sun, 06 May 2007 14:07:29 +0000, Cohasset / Hippisley <cohasset@frontiernet.net> said:

> I have been trying to figure out what a low-cost solution to sending
> high fidelity stereo "sans" POTS hum and noise to the broadcast station
> might be.

Sounds like what you want is what the industry calls a "POTS codec".
You can find several brands advertised in the trade magazines.
Unfortunately, they are fairly expensive (about $3000 a pop), but it
is not unlikely that the station you're looking to feed already has
one (and if not, their engineer probably knows wherer to get an older
model for cheaper than list price).

> So far, all I can come up with is approaching the station management
> with the idea of the church sending left and right data streams to
> them via the internet.  But I'm not sure whether our current DSL
> bandwidth is sufficient to do that reliably.

Such things have been done before.  Some of the more expensive
hardware codecs can do this for you.

>   *  *If* the internet is used for this kind of remote feed, what is
> commonly accepted as the minimum acceptable bandwidth for the connection?

Whatever the codec (hardware or software) you're using requires.
Newer ones generally require less bandwidth for the same audio
quality.  Older ones typically had to fit in 112 kbit/s, since that's
what ISDN gives you.  Ogg Vorbis, which is Free Software, is
psychoacoustically transparent at 128 kbit/s, and doesn't require much
of a computer to run at better than real time.

-GAWollman