The Jibguy's ratings

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu May 3 11:22:40 EDT 2007

> > From: "Michael E" <m1bz@hotmail.com>
> To: dlh@donnahalper.com, scott@fybush.com,
>     boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org
> Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 17:39:23 -0400
> Subject: Re: The Jibguy's ratings
>
> From: Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
>
> >And did I miss the numbers of WKOX/WXKS?  Didn't they do
> >better with progressive talk than they are doing with
> >Spanish? 8-)
>
> I think it's sound quality. Spanish-speaking listeners
> know how bad AM sounds, compared to FM.

That doesn't necessarily keep the audience from listening
entirely, though. Note that in this same book, Spanish AM
800 WNNW Lawrence pulled a very respectable number for an
AM signal that is weak in Boston by day, and is generally
not listenable south of the 128/93 interchange at night.

Perhaps almost all of their numbers may come from listeners
in the Lawrence/Lowell/Merrimack Valley areas, but it beat
many other low-tiered Boston based AM's in the Boston book
while only covering a portion of the market.

Meanwhile, WKOX/WXKS, which covers Boston's neighborhoods
well by day via 1430, and also covers the lower North Shore
24/7 where there's some Spanish population as well, is still
bubbling under the published threshold (0.4) somewhere. 800
WNNW got at least a (speculated) three times the numbers of
WKOX/WXKS in the Boston book. Very strange.

EP